Having done the list of food things I miss in Estonia, I thought I should also do the list of things I like the most in Estonia (I have written more generally about Estonian cuisine in the past). These are things I didn’t know before coming to Estonia, or that are just better in Estonia. It’s not necessarily only Estonian stuff.
- Chanterelles: Oh do I love chanterelles season. These mushrooms are plenty on the market, for fairly cheap. Cooked with onions, cream, dill, smoked ham and eaten with new potatoes, delicious.
- Couldberries: Small little yellow berries that grow in wetlands, they are amazing in marmalade, fantastic in liquor (and no words to describe the grand-father 30-year liquor.. no, I don’t share this one..).
- Pork: While beef and chicken are less good than in France, pork is better and more interesting. There is also a big choice of meat for grilling (grilling is a national sport) and lots of nice marinated meat. Good, cheap, fun.
- Dumplings (pelmeni): There are many different sorts, but even just the frozen ones are nice (typical student food probably). With sour cream and a beer.
- Marzipan pralines: The ones Kalev sells in the box with the picture of the little girl.
Also worth mentioning: Seljanka (thick Russian soup), elk sausages, beer in general (lots of local sorts), strawberries (small, but very tasty, I cannot wait for the season to start), potato salad, etc.